Australian Economy

ILT20 offers AUD 700,000 deals to 15 top Australian players to ditch BBL




The International League (ILT20) in UAE has reportedly offered 15 top Australian players a whopping AUD 700,000 deals to ditch the (BBL), dates of which are overlapping, causing considerable tension in (CA)’s ranks.


The will be played between December 13 to February 4 while the inaugural edition of ILT20 is scheduled from January 6 to February 12, making it virtually impossible for Australian players to take part in both the tournaments.


According to a report in Sydney Morning Herald,”As many as 15 Australian players have been offered contracts worth up to AUD 700,000 a year to abandon the and play in the UAE Twenty20 tournament in January.”

Most of the top Australian players have no obligation to play BBL under their existing central contract, with Warner not having played a single edition since 2014.


The BBL’s highest payment till date from the draft has been D’arcy Short’s USD 258,000 (AUD 370,000) and the money compared to what has been paid to marquee Australian players in IPL, has been significantly lesser.


But with Indian IPL owners investing in UAE and CSA T20 leagues, the BBL will need to revamp its pay structure to keep the best in the business interested.


According to Australian newspapers ‘The Age’ and ‘The Sydney Morning Herald’ by senior cricket sources, “the scale of the attempted raid on Australian players goes far beyond the threat of losing one player David Warner to the UAE because he does not have a BBL deal.”

The paper also revealed: “UAE contract sizes so far above and beyond what has been on offer in the BBL have placed and the Australian Cricketers Association under pressure to reassure players that they are not being left behind the rest of the world by remaining loyal to the game in this country.”

However it is learnt CA in its bid to retain the sheen and quality of BBL, is keen on signing a lucrative one-off deal with Warner, which will prevent him from taking up the ILT20 offer.


“While CA is in talks with Warner about finding a way to get him back into the BBL this summer, the governing body’s chief executive Nick Hockley and his player union counterpart Todd Greenberg have been fielding countless calls from players about the offers,’ SMH further reported.


Greenberg feels that Australian players are not “mercenaries” and would eventually take an informed and matured decision.


“They do have this genuine sense of care about the game if they didn’t, they would be mercenaries and take what’s in front of them.


“But they’re not, they’re actually taking a mature, considered approach to this and trying to be part of the solution. This comes down to establishing trust with your own players and the relationships you develop with them,” Greenberg said.


But he didn’t forget to mention that CA needs to do something about the salary cap.


“I do know CA have to stay within the salary cap principles for any player and that includes Dave (warner),” Greenberg said.


“But clearly they’ve got to try to make the best offer they can to keep him here. It’s a balance of trying to make sure you’re attracting your best players and there’s some equity in the system and the model, so that all of them have the opportunity to play and are remunerated accordingly.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,

Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.

We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

Get our latest downloads and information first. Complete the form below to subscribe to our weekly newsletter.