“International education is an important economic sector for Western Australia and the McGowan Government is strongly committed to supporting the industry as it continues to reconnect with international partners,” International Education Minister David Templeman said.
A key part of the initiative are two new scholarship programs – the ‘s University Scholarships and the Premier’s WA Certificate of Education Bursary.
The Premier’s University Scholarships, worth a total of AU$2 million over four years, will provide funding for 10 one-year scholarships valued at AU$50,000 each per annum to attract high-achieving international students to WA’s five universities.
A further AU$4 million over four years will be provided to implement the Premier’s WA Certificate of Education Bursary, which will provide support of AU$20,000 per annum to 50 offshore WACE graduates from WA’s international partner schools.
Overseas education agents who enrol international students in a WA institution will be supported through a $10 million incentive package that will also aim to increase awareness of WA’s international education sector through the agent network.
Other initiatives to be funded include:
- AU$1 million for the provision of a familiarisation program for key offshore stakeholders to visit and experience WA
- AU$6.8 million for the continuation of the ELICOS Bursary and the International Student Accommodation Subsidy to attract international students to WA
- AU$400,000 for the creation of a school support program to encourage international students studying within the schools sector to continue their student journey with a WA education provider
- AU$3 million for the WA Technical and Vocational Education and Training Consortium to support the development of offshore opportunities and student pipeline creation
- AU$4.5 million boost to StudyPerth, which ensures international students are welcomed and supported while studying in WA
- AU$1.5 million to extend the global international education marketing campaign
- AU$8 million over four years for onshore and offshore staffing to implement the new initiatives