The win against Australia on Sunday was India’s 21st T20I win in the year 2022. The previous record was held by Pakistan with 20 T20I wins in the year 2021.
The following is a list of India’s performances in the shortest format of the game in 2022.
- India started off this year with a 3-0 win over West Indies in the T20I series in February.
- In the same month, they beat Sri Lanka 3-0 in a home T20 series.
- In June, a T20I home series against South Africa ended in a 2-2 draw after the final match was washed out due to rain.
- India then followed it up with a 2-1 win in T20Is against England at their home in July.
- In the same month, they also defeated Ireland 2-0 at their home.
- In July-August, India toured the Caribbean, where they defeated West Indies 4-1 in a T20I series.
- India, however, faltered at the Asia Cup 2022 in Dubai, winning only two matches and failing to make the final.
- Following that, India won the series against Australia 2-1.
India are now set to play South Africa in a T20I series against South Africa at home, and so there is a chance to extend that record. This is ahead of the ICC T20 World Cup in Australia starting late October.
With the win against Australia, India also went seven points clear of England at the top of the ICC T20 team rankings
The six-wicket win improved India’s ranking by one point to 268 points, a seven-point lead over their closest rival in England in the ICC T20 rankings released on Monday. South Africa occupy third place on the team rankings with 258 points.
The upcoming three-match series against South Africa will give India a chance to consolidate their lead at the top ahead of the T20 World Cup in Australia.
Disclaimer Statement: This content is authored by an external agency. The views expressed here are that of the respective authors/ entities and do not represent the views of Economic Times (ET). ET does not guarantee, vouch for or endorse any of its contents nor is responsible for them in any manner whatsoever. Please take all steps necessary to ascertain that any information and content provided is correct, updated, and verified. ET hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the report and any content therein.